Dos and Don'ts - Should you Spray and Clean Central Air Conditioner Unit Coils?
By: Bradbury Brothers Cooling, Plumbing & Electrical | Published 03/27/2023
If you have an HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning) maintenance plan in place, you’re already doing the best thing possible to minimize air conditioner repairs. Your central air conditioner professional inspects your coils every visit to ensure they are clean and functioning properly.
AC Coils – Should You Clean Them?
Your central air conditioner (AC) unit has two types of coils. Evaporator coils absorb heat and humidity from the air. Condenser coils expel warm air outside your home. Both coils need to be clean to maximize efficiency. It’s a good idea to clean the condenser coils if you don’t have an HVAC maintenance plan, but proceed with great care and caution. If you’re not comfortable doing this yourself, we are here to help.
How to Clean Condenser Coils
- Turn the thermostat and main power switch off.
- Visually inspect the unit for damage. Be sure to call Bradbury Brothers as soon as possible if you see any significant damage.
- Remove leaves and debris from the outside of the unit.
- Use a cooling fin comb to straighten any bent fins.
- Remove the top of the unit, carefully. The fan motor may be attached to the top. Place the top where the fan blades and wiring won’t be damaged.
- Vacuum dirt and debris out of the bottom of the unit. Using the brush attachment, very gently vacuum the fins. Use an up-and-down motion; vacuuming across the fins can bend them.
- Spray the outside of the fins with a coil cleaner or detergent/water mixture and wait 5 minutes. Using a garden sprayer, gently rinse off the coil cleaner with water. Avoid spraying the fan motor.
- Re-assemble and turn the main power switch on. Set the thermostat to cool.
- Go outside and listen for any odd noises; if you hear anything, call us as soon as possible.
Bradbury Brothers Cooling, Heating, Plumbing & Electrical
Preventive maintenance saves money, but it’s not about money as much as it is about time. No one wants to lose time dealing with repairs that could have been prevented with proper maintenance! Call 281.651.5484, 936.271.2030 or contact us to learn more about a maintenance plan for you.