Summer Eye Tips
Much like the sunscreen we wear during the summer months, we must not forget to protect our eyes too! Take measures this summer to avoid eye injury. Here is a list of some points to consider when vacationing and enjoying your time off:
1. Wear Sunglasses with Complete Ultraviolet Protection. As we already mentioned, much like protecting your skin from the sun, you must protect your eyes too. UV rays come from the sun and may also be reflected off surfaces such as water or sand. Sunglasses are essential but must offer 100% protection against both UVA and UVB rays.
2. Use Goggles at the Pool.While swimming in a pool is fun for leisure or exercise, the chlorine in the water can irritate your eyes. Protect your eyes by wearing goggles and also consider wearing them if you swim in any body of water as they may contain other contaminants that can hurt your eyes.
3. Wash Hands and Avoid Rubbing Your Eyes. The best way to protect yourself from the spread of infection is to regularly wash your hands. Doing this helps avoid contracting eye-related conditions such as conjunctivitis (pink eye).
4. Wear Hats.Even if you wear sunglasses every time you go outside, you are not offering complete UV Ray protection. Wearing a hat with a brim at least 3 inches wide provides extra protection.
5. Eat Healthy and Drink Plenty of Water. What you eat affects how well you see. Many foods are rich in nutrients that improve your eyesight and help prevent the development of long-term vision problems. Adding foods high in Vitamins C, E and zinc to your diet can help prevent symptoms of age-related macular degeneration. During the summer, people are more likely to become dehydrated which can affect their eyes. So drink plenty of water!!
6. Get a Good Night Sleep. Your eyes need rest too! Rested eyes are important especially during visual tasks such as driving, cooking or caring for children. When you are tired, your eyes are tired and don’t perform at their best.
Take advantage of our Dog Days of Summer Eventat Medical Plaza on July 26. Free sunglasses with a purchase of a complete pair of eyeglasses. The same offer is available at the Panther Creek office, Christmas in July Eventon July 27. Check our website for more details.
To ensure your eyes are kept in good health this summer, make sure to have an annual comprehensive eye exam with Woodlands Eye Associates. We have two convenient locations in The Woodlands, our Panther Creek office is located in the Panther Creek Shopping Center at 4775 W. Panther Creek Dr., Ste. 230 or call 281.367.5335. Our Medical Plaza office is located at 1001 Medical Plaza Dr., Ste 100 or call 281.367.2020. You can also request an appointment by visiting https://woodlandseye.com. We hope to see you soon!