Pros And Cons of an In-lab Sleep Study
In-lab sleep testing has advantages and disadvantages for diagnosing problems with sleep
In-lab sleep tests have advantages and disadvantages. Talk to your doctor about your test preference and contact Houston Sleep Solutions to discuss a treatment plan.
- It is the most accurate test currently available. The in-lab sleep test is considered the benchmark of testing and diagnosis of sleep apnea.
- Flexible options to maximize time. Split-night tests include diagnosis and treatment in a single night, unlike full-night or at-home tests.
- Best test for at-risk employees. Employees who can pose a serious risk to safety if they fall asleep on the job should preferably participate in an in-lab sleep study to ensure an accurate diagnosis. These people usually work in areas such as taxi driving, bus driving, other driving, as well as being pilots and police officers.
- Best option for sleep disorders or complications. In-lab monitoring is better suited to people with other health conditions, including sleep disorders and heart and pulmonary disease.
- Cost. In-lab sleep apnea tests can cost upward of $1,000. If you have insurance, they may cover a portion of the cost, but not all providers cover this test. Some insurance companies require the results of an at-home test before you can take an in-lab test.
- Accessibility. In-lab studies will need transportation to and from a sleep lab. Depending on where you live, this may be time-consuming or costly.
- Wait times are long. Depending on where you live, and the popularity of this kind of test, you may have to wait a few weeks or even months to take the test.
- Not as convenient. Taking an in-lab sleep test is more likely to disrupt your work schedule or interfere with your daily routine and responsibilities.
- Fixed sleep study hours. Many sleep studies take place between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. If you have a different sleep schedule, an at-home test may be a better option.
CONTACT HOUSTON SLEEP SOLUTIONS TO DISCUSS A TREATMENT PLAN:
Articles by Month of Posting