Tricks and Remedies to Help with Sleep Apnea Treatment
Houston Sleep Solutions in Pearland or Friendswood TX can help you diagnose and treat your sleep apnea. The most common method of treating sleep apnea is to try to consistently sleep every night. In addition, you may be prescribed a CPAP mask and air system that provides continuous “positive airway pressure.” CPAPs can be a little uncomfortable at first, but many people get used to them over time.
From a health standpoint, it is important to try and lose some excess weight if you are overweight and try to exercise regularly. This will make a huge difference in sleep apnea, as excess weight can contribute to the narrowing of the airways and lead to snoring and apnea.
Home Remedies for Sleep Apnea
The traditional treatment for sleep apnea is using a CPAP mask with a positive air machine every night. Even though it is effective, some people find it so uncomfortable to use regularly.
Some home remedies for sleep apnea may offer some relief in addition to qualified medical treatment plans. Here are some of the most essential remedies for sleep apnea:
- Avoid smoking and alcohol. Lifestyle changes can be beneficial in improving health and encouraging better sleeping. Try to quit smoking and limit your intake of alcohol.
- Use a humidifier. Humidifiers are essential to add moisture to the air. Dry air may irritate the respiratory tract, and the use of a humidifier can open the airways, reduce congestion, and encourage clearer breathing.
- Sleep position. It sounds insignificant, but your sleeping position may help reduce the symptoms of sleep apnea and can help improve your rest at night. Discuss your body positioning sleeping habits with your doctor to evaluate the options for treatment.
- Regular exercise can increase your energy levels, strengthen your heart, and possibly alleviate some of the symptoms of sleep apnea. Yoga is an example that can help to improve your oxygen flow.
- Maintain a healthy weight. It is common for doctors to recommend losing weight to those who suffer from sleep apnea if they are overweight. Specifically, obesity may increase the risk of the obstruction of airways and nasal passages. These obstructions may cause the sudden stoppage of breathing during sleep.
Before going to sleep at night, you may also try drinking hot milk or tea, if you prefer. Also, try drinking passionflower or valerian tea to relax and calm yourself. Be aware of the things you do, the foods you eat, and the lifestyle that you have.