Strong Thunderstorms Possible this Weekend in Montgomery County
MONTGOMERY COUNTY, TX - More rain is expected this weekend. The north part of Montgomery County is in the enhanced threat area, this means that damaging winds, large hail and isolated tornadoes are possible.
The National Weather Service is predicting the risk of strong to severe thunderstorms to
develop for much of Southeast Texas. The current timing of storms looks like Saturday
afternoon through Saturday evening.
In preparation for severe thunderstorms plan the following:
- Listen for “Severe Thunderstorm Watches” for your area. This means that conditions
are favorable for severe thunderstorms to develop.
- Listen for “Severe Thunderstorm Warnings” for your area. This means that a severe
thunderstorm is occurring or is imminent.
- When severe thunderstorms threaten, go to a small interior room on the lowest floor of
your home, school, or business. Avoid windows.
- To improve your odds in minimizing the hazard to life or injury, follow this rule of thumb:
“put as many walls between you and the outside wind.”
- In vehicles, avoid driving through severe thunderstorms. Consider pulling over or
- Prior to a severe thunderstorm’s arrival, move vehicles into garages or under carports
to help prevent damage. Do this as time and safety permits. Bring in pets.
- Tornadoes can also occur with severe thunderstorms. If a tornado approaches, seek
shelter in an interior closet or bathroom. If possible protect your head and body with
something padded such as pillows or a small mattress.
Stay informed and monitor conditions for Montgomery County and the surrounding area on the
Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Management website www.mctxoem.org,
Facebook, or twitter, NOAA Weather Radio, KStar 99.7FM.
For help and information on preparing for disasters, download our new preparedness app
ReadyMCTX to your mobile device. Now is the time to prepare.
To receive emergency alerts to your phone or email from Montgomery County Office of
Emergency Management, register at http://www.mc911.org/page/ecd.AlertMCTX. When you
are creating your profile, you must check the box next to Share my Smart911 Profile with TX-
Montgomery-County-911 to support emergency preparedness.