The Woodlands Township Board Holds Videoconference Meeting
THE WOODLANDS, TX - The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held its regular meeting via videoconference on Thursday, June 18, 2020 at 6 p.m.
At the start of the meeting, President/General Manager Don Norrell recognized The Woodlands Township Parks and Recreation Department for winning the National Recreation and Park Association 2020 Innovation in Conservation Award. This award focuses on innovative approaches that The Woodlands community has taken in forest management, watershed protection and recycling yard waste diversion.
Before addressing agenda items, the Board of Directors issued three proclamations.
The Board of Directors issued a proclamation in support of diversity in The Woodlands and healing for the nation.
In recognition of International Widows Day and to honor our local community of widows, the Board of Directors proclaimed June 23, 2020 as International Widows Day in The Woodlands, Texas.
In support of the National Recreation and Parks Association and The Woodlands Township’s 150 parks, 14 pools, 220+ miles of pathway, countless greenbelts, two recreation centers, two Boat Houses and an Adventure Course, the Board of Directors proclaimed July as Parks and Recreation Month in The Woodlands, Texas.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Consent Agenda:
- Received Administrative Reports from Township departments.
- Approved a Sanitary Sewer Line Easement to San Jacinto River Authority.
The Board of Directors discussed the following matters on the Regular Agenda:
- Chairman Gordy Bunch discussed Governor Greg Abbott’s Update from June 16, 2020, where the Governor indicated that Texas has abundant hospital capacity and can continue to remain open while continuing efforts to contain and treat COVID-19. Chairman Bunch also reviewed local and regional statistics. His presentation can be found at this link.
Director Dr. Shelley Sekula-Gibbs provided an update on COVID-19 testing. Last week, the drive-in COVID-19 testing at Rob Fleming Aquatic Center averaged over 100 tests per day. This week, a mobile testing site is available at the Sterling Ridge Park and Ride, located at 8001 McBeth Way in The Woodlands, TX, 77382, today, June 19 through June 21, 2020, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. This testing site is free, but an appointment is needed. An appointment can be made by calling 512-883-2400 or online at txcovidtest.org.
The Board received a presentation from Dr. Chris Nunes, Director of Parks & Recreation, regarding the plan for reopening facilities and amenities in The Woodlands. His presentation can be found at this link.
Starting June 19, 2020, the Township will accept reservations for athletic fields and park pavilions and third-party special event permit applications. A social distancing plan will be required as well as permits from the County for events larger than a certain size.
A revised pool schedule will be effective Monday, June 22, 2020. Alden Bridge, Creekwood, Forest Gate, Sawmill and Harper’s Landing Pool will be open from noon to 6 p.m. and Bear Branch and Wendtwoods Pool will be open from 2 to 8 p.m. The last day of the regular season is August 11, 2020, except Wendtwoods Pool, which will close August 14, 2020. For post-season, Alden Bridge, Sawmill, Wendtwoods and Bear Branch Pool will be open on weekends from noon to 6 p.m. Post-season weekends are August 15 and 16, August 22 and 23, August 29 and 30 and September 5-7, 2020. Alden Bridge Pool will be open on weekdays August 12-14, August 17-21 and August 24-28, 2020. Alden Bridge is closed on Mondays for service.
Lakes Edge Boat House will open pending electrical repair and Recreation Center reservations are on hold due to capacity limitations.
The Board voted to continue holding virtual meetings over Zoom until the Governor repeals the authority.
- Received and accepted reports from Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office and Harris County Constable’s Office Precinct 4 on current public safety concerns in light of recent protests. The presentation for Harris County Precinct 4 Constable’s Office can be found at this link.
- Received and accepted the Incorporation Study Consolidated Report as provided by The Novak Consulting Group.
- Approved a contract extension for Security Guard Services for the Park & Ride facilities.
- Received and accepted an emergency preparedness briefing by The Woodlands Fire Department.
- Appointed Director Jason Nelson to the Audit Committee.
Please stay connected to The Woodlands Township through many communications channels. Learn more and sign up at www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/stayinformed. Follow the Township’s official Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/thewoodlandstownship.
For more information on The Woodlands Township, or to view the meeting in its entirety, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.