Prescribed Burning on W.G. Jones State Forest
THE WOODLANDS, TX -- Texas A&M Forest Service is planning to conduct prescribed burning operations on the W.G. Jones State Forest beginning November 16, 2020 through November 30, 2020.
Considered a standard forest management tool for endangered species habitat restoration, undergrowth vegetation reduction, and providing for community safety, the prescribed burning will take place as weather permits.
The area is located between I-45 and SH 242, south of FM 1488 within the state forest boundaries.
• Vegetative reduction/reduce the potential of devastating wildfire on state forest land/reduce fuel load
• Restoration of forest ecological habitat for endangered Red-cockaded woodpecker populations
• Improve access and visual landscape aesthetics for safety
• Enhance wildlife habitat by increasing sunlight to the forest floor and desirable flora species
• Inter-departmental training between state and local emergency response resources
W.G. Jones State Forest
1328 FM 1488 Road
Conroe, TX 77384
LAT 30.229547 N
LONG 95.484968 W
Texas A&M Forest Service will notify the surrounding city and fire officials, as well as area residents and groups who frequent the forest, by email and posting notification signs in adjoining right-of-ways. Agency firefighters and equipment will be stationed at the forest as a precautionary measure.
In the interest of public and firefighter safety, certain areas of the forest will be closed to the public.
For more information, contact the Texas A&M Forest Service Public Information Officer: John Warner 936-546-3169