Prescribed burning to take place at W. Goodrich Jones State Forest
CONROE, TX -- Preliminary plans (in RED) detail Texas A&M Forest Service conducting prescribed burning operations at W. Goodrich Jones State Forest possibly starting this week January 7, 2020, through February 29, 2020, as weather permits. These areas are predominately pine forest. Areas in RED are delineated into smaller prescribed burn units of approximately 20 to 35 acres.
· Starting time: 10:00
· Completion time: 1500
· Mop-up until smoke is extinguished
Considered a standard forest management tool for endangered species habitat restoration, undergrowth vegetation reduction, and providing for community safety, the prescribed burning will take place as weather permits.
The area is located between I-45 and SH 242, south side of FM 1488 within the state forest boundaries.
- Vegetative reduction/reduce the potential of devastating wildfire on state forest land/reduce fuel load
- Restoration of forest ecological habitat for endangered Red-cockaded woodpecker populations
- Improve access and visual landscape aesthetics for safety
- Enhance wildlife habitat by increasing sunlight to the forest floor and desirable flora species
- Inter-departmental training between state and local emergency (fire departments) response resources