The Woodlands Township Board holds videoconference meetings
THE WOODLANDS, TX – The Woodlands Township Board of Directors held a Budget Planning Session Meeting and its Regularly Scheduled Meeting via videoconference on Thursday, May 21, 2020, beginning at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. respectively. Several items discussed include the re-opening of The Woodlands amenities and programs, budget case scenarios and other topics.
The Board of Directors began the afternoon with a Special Meeting and discussed the following matters on the Regular Agenda:
- Received a Budget Task Force Report.
- Approved the 2020 budget plan adjustments recommended by the Budget Task Force to address a range of potential declines in sales tax revenues in the following order of priority:
- Utilize $2,829,418 in unbudgeted sources of revenues;
- Utilize savings from a 3.5% reduction in operating expenses;
- Defer identified capital projects until such time the Board authorizes the projects to proceed;
- Utilize the capital replacement reserve to fund all 2020 capital projects that are authorized, including those originally to be funded from general fund revenues; and
- Utilize reserve balances in the priority order presented.
- Approved the 2020 budget plan adjustments recommended by the Budget Task Force to address a range of potential declines in hotel occupancy tax revenues
- Directed staff to provide the Board a bi-monthly report showing the status of the 2020 budget plan adjustments.
- Directed Board members to provide individual feedback to staff on potential 2021 Budget Initiatives, and directed staff to prepare and present the budget initiatives to the Board of Directors during the budget workshop meetings scheduled for the week of August 3, 2020.
The Woodlands Township Board of Directors then held its regular meeting via videoconference on Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 6 p.m. The Board discussed opening up the community, including opening pools for the 2020 season.
At the start of the regular meeting, the Board of Directors recognized The Woodlands High School Choir for being invited to sing at the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) Convention on February 14, 2020 for the first time in the school’s history. Additionally, The Woodlands High School Choir has won numerous Best In Class and Overall Outstanding awards at festivals throughout Texas. To celebrate these accomplishments, the Board of Directors proclaimed May 21, 2020 as The Woodlands High School Chamber Choir Day in The Woodlands, Texas. Please view a performance by The Woodlands High School Choir here.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Consent Agenda:
- Received Administrative Reports from Township departments.
- Approved revisions to The Woodlands Township Pay Structure.
The Board of Directors then moved on to take the following actions on the Regular Agenda:
- Approved the following recommendations of Township Parks and Recreation:
- Re-open playgrounds with signage indicating that the public should use at their own risk and practice proper hand-washing.
- Hold a public hearing on May 27, 2020, to modify the daily pass rates only for the 2020 season for Township pools. The Township is hoping to open at least six (6) pools the first week of June. A more defined plan will be determined at the Township’s Board meeting on Wednesday, May 27, 2020.
- Continue the development of a 4th of July Drive-in Fireworks Show Concept.
- Authorize the President/General Manager to modify (open/close) the amenity infrastructure, as needed, to comply with the Governor’s Executive Orders, social distancing requirements, and/or industry recommendations.
The presentation given by Township Parks and Recreation Director Chris Nunes can be found at this link.
“The Woodlands Township is working diligently to open up as many amenities and programs allowed under the orders of the Governor,” said Chairman Gordy Bunch. “We’re please to be making progress as our residents are ready to participate in so many of the great amenities and programs we have here in The Woodlands.”
- Chairman Bunch discussed the status of coronavirus with regards to number of cases, hospital beds currently in use per 100,000 people due to COVID-19 and ventilator usage in Texas as compared to New York and the rest of the nation. His presentation can be found at this link.
- Director Dr. Shelley Sekula-Gibbs provided an update on COVID-19 testing in The Woodlands where various testing sites are available, including mobile testing at Lone Star College within the past week. Free testing is available in Montgomery County along with testing for those with insurance that may require a co-pay. Medical and dental offices are reopening, using maximum sanitation and safety procedures to ensure the health of patients. Local hospitals are operating well under capacity; residents are encouraged to seek regular and urgent medical care as needs arise.
- Discussed Board Policy in relation to filling Director vacancies. No action was taken.
- Received an update on The Woodlands Fire Station No. 5 from Fire Chief Palmer Buck.
Please stay connected to The Woodlands Township through many communications channels. Learn more and sign up at www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/stayinformed. Follow the Township’s official Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/thewoodlandstownship.
For more information on The Woodlands Township, or to view the meeting in its entirety, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.