Governor Abbott lifts temporary waiver of vehicle title & registration requirements: Montgomery County residents have until April 14, 2021
THE WOODLANDS, TX - The temporary waiver of certain vehicle title and registration requirements will end at 11:59 p.m. on April 14, 2021. The Montgomery County Tax Assessor-Collector’s Office is ready to serve motorists who have until then to complete their transactions.
If you have not renewed your expired vehicle registration sticker, you should make plans to renew on or before April 14, 2021. It is not necessary to wait until the deadline to complete overdue transactions.
“I commend Governor Abbott for balancing the safety of Texans with the need to continue vital state services by offering the waivers to registration and titling requirements during the pandemic. Fortunately, many Texans are already in compliance with these requirements,” said Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) Executive Director Whitney Brewster. “We continued to offer registration renewal and other important services throughout the waiver period.”
“Montgomery County offers several convenient options to renew your registration and complete other transactions that were temporarily waived due to the pandemic,” said Montgomery County Tax Assessor-Collector Tammy McRae. “If you need to visit our office(s) we have health and safety measures in place to protect our customers and employees.”
Options for renewing your vehicle registration:
1) Online: Visit www.mctotx.org or www.TxDMV.gov. There is a $1 discount if you renew online. Online renewal is available up to nine months past your registration expiration date.
2) Mail: Return the bottom portion of your registration renewal form, payment and other required information to the Montgomery County Tax Assessor-Collector’s office.
3) In Person Office Locations: Conroe, Magnolia, Montgomery, New Caney & The Woodlands. Please visit our website for address information. Appointments available in Conroe & The Woodlands.
Reminder: Before renewing registration, Montgomery County residents will need to obtain a passing vehicle inspection at the state vehicle inspection station of their choice, unless their vehicle is exempt from inspection requirements.
The expiring temporary waiver covers the following services:
• Initial vehicle registration.
• Vehicle registration renewal.
• Vehicle titling.
• Renewal of permanent disabled parking placards.
• 30-day temporary permits.
If you need assistance with completing your transaction, please contact the Montgomery County Tax Assessor-Collector’s office at 936.539.7897.