40 For Forty: 40 Amazing Things About The Community Assistance Center
THE WOODLANDS, TX -- Community Assistance Center is celebrating their 40th anniversary this year. We are so excited to showcase their mission as well as show you how you can help support their efforts. Their mission reads “Providing resources to meet basic needs and improve quality of life for our neighbors in Montgomery County.” We know that Community Assistance Center helps people in need, but most people probably don’t understand how that is accomplished or to what extent that mission is fulfilled. Watch the video below and read about the 40 ways the Community Assistance Center is serving Montgomery County.
Here are 40 unique facts about CAC that makes them one of the most valuable resources in our area for helping feed, cloth and shelter those in need. A situation becomes a crisis because of the lack of resources. Community Assistance Center is bridging that gap to help our community and turning crisis’ into valuable opportunities.
* Community Assistance Center was started in 1981
* The organization used to be called the “Crisis Assistance Center(CAC)” and “Montgomery County Emergency Assistance (MCEA)'
* They are a non-profit 501(c)(3) social services organization
* Their mission is providing resources to meet basic needs and improve the quality of life for our neighbors in Montgomery County, Texas
* They were originally formed by a partnership with the County and the Conroe Ministerial Alliance
* They are located at 1022 McCall Ave Conroe, TX 77301 - click here for directions
* Their phone number is 936.539.1096
* Jennifer Landers is the Executive Director of CAC - Click here to learn more about Jennifer
* CAC partners with various businesses and churches around our area
* CAC provides free legal services for those in need through a partnership with Lone Star Legal Aid
* They work with Conroe Noon Lions Club to provide free vision screenings
* CAC provides community education courses free of charge
* CAC provides free nutrition classes through Texas AgriLife A&M Extension
* CAC provides VITA tax assistance services through Children’s Books on Wheels
* CAC provides free financial literacy classes through Woodforest National Bank
* CAC partners with area counselors to provide counseling services at no cost
* CAC provides free cooking demonstrations using items from the food pantry
* CAC provides a food pantry to help end food insecurity in Montgomery County
* They operate a resale shop called “Unique Resale”.
* CAC offers a Clothing Voucher Program for individuals in need
* CAC provides disaster relief for floods, hurricanes, house fires, COVID-19, and winter storm relief
* Helps chronically homeless people with Permanent Supportive Housing
* CAC helps break the cycle of poverty through their program called “Hand Up Initiative”
* The Hand Up Initiative enables their clients to develop a greater understanding of accountability so that they are empowered to work towards long-term solutions. Hand-Up allows CAC to identify, encourage, and empower clients who are chronically in crisis to gain significantly greater levels of financial independence and self-sufficiency.
* CAC hosts a Senior Lunch n' Learn program, coordinated by Comforts of Home, for seniors 65 and up with lunch, guest speakers and activities.
* CAC offers a Basic Needs Crisis Intervention program.
* CAC has an annual event called Legacy Awards Luncheon
* CAC has an annual Duck Race Event
* CAC offers Mortgage/Rental Payment Assistance
* CAC offers Vouchers for Emergency Shelter
* CAC offers Assistance with Utility Payments
* CAC provides Mobile Food Markets
* CAC offers Summer Stock Kids Food Pantry Program
* CAC offers assistance with non-narcotic Prescription Medications
* CAC provides CARE Kits to transient clients
* CAC offers Transportation Vouchers
* CAC partners with First Methodist Conroe to provide an ID Restoration Ministry
* This program assists individuals needing to acquire an official state identification (ID, Birth Certificate, or Social Security Card).
* This year the Community Assistance Center is celebrating their 40th year serving Montgomery County
* CAC is in need of volunteers - click here to volunteer
* CAC is in need of donations - click here to donate
* CAC is looking for Ruby Sponsors - Click here for more information
Click here to view our Community Assistance Center Photo Gallery
CAC 2020 Stats At A Glance
* Food assistance provided 29,108 friends in need and distributed 1,276,200 pounds of food throughout the year.
* Provided rent and mortgage assistance so that 2,096 neighbors could stay in their homes.
* 1,829 residents received utility assistance and 77 received emergency shelter.
* ID Restoration Ministry assisted with 149 renewals
* 689 Care Kits were distributed to transient clients
* 1,397 volunteers provided 10,289 hours of service at a value of $254,035
* Unique Resale Shop fulfilled 1,127 clothing vouchers.
* Clients seeking assistance for the first time in 2020: 1,241 families. 3,334 individuals.
* 39,347 duplicated individuals served. 5,230 unduplicated individuals served.
How You Can Help
There are three main areas that CAC needs help in. They need donations from the community in the form of clothing, furniture, household items, etc as well as monetary donations either as a one time contribution or an ongoing monthly giving commitment.
The 40 for 40 Challenge
Since this year is Community Assistance Center’s 40th anniversary, they are asking the community to commit to a monthly donation of $40 per month. If you can provide this ongoing monthly amount, please click here to view their donation page and fill out the online donation form. Every dollar that is given supports a person in need, a family in crisis and a community in need.
Become A 40th Anniversary Ruby Sponsor
In celebration of their 40th anniversary they also have a Ruby Sponsorship available that will significantly help CAC meet the increased need brought on by COVID-19 and prepare for future growth of the organization. This is a $10,000 commitment. Click here to view our current list of Ruby Sponsors and also how you can become a Ruby Sponsor
* Legacy Awards Luncheon - May 14th, 2021 - Click here for more information
* Annual Duck Race
CAC Wishlist of Items They Would Like Donated To Their Resale Shop
To schedule a donation pick-up, please call at 936-494-4403 email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Clothing (men’s, women’s and children’s)
• Furniture (in good condition)
• Household Items
* Home Décor
* Kitchen ware
• Appliances (must be in good working condition)
• Lawn Equipment
• Recreational Equipment
• Socks/Undies (new in package – men/women/children)
Links To CAC Resources
* Community Assistance Center Website
* CAC Facebook Page
* CAC Donation Page
* CAC Volunteer Page
* Link To Unique Resale Shop Page