The Woodlands Township Board Holds Videoconference Meeting
THE WOODLANDS, TX - The Woodlands Township Board of Directors approved a plan to open seven (7) swimming pools to start the summer based on the availability of lifeguards during its regular meeting via videoconference at 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 27, 2020.
The Board of Directors recognized The Woodlands High School Choir for being invited to sing at the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) Convention on February 14, 2020, for the first time in the school’s history. Additionally, The Woodlands High School Choir has won numerous Best In Class and Overall Outstanding awards at festivals throughout Texas. Please view a performance by The Woodlands High School Choir here.
The Board of Directors took the following actions on the Consent Agenda:
• Approved the release of a Request for Proposals for a Work Order and Asset Management System.
• Approved the conveyance of Lots, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11, Block 2 of The Woodlands Village of Grogan’s, Mill Section 60.
The Board of Directors then moved on to take the following actions on the Regular Agenda:
• Approved emergency authorization related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic, and authorizing the President/General Manager to act in connection therewith.
• Implement open swim plan as presented by Parks and Recreation. The plan calls for opening seven (7) pools initially: Alden Bridge, Sawmill, Creekwood, Forestgate, Bear Branch, Wendtwoods, and Harper’s Landing.
• Proceed with development of Fourth of July Drive-In Fireworks Show, pending related agreements.
• Director Dr. Shelley Sekula-Gibbs, who serves as the Township’s Public Health Liaison, gave a healthcare update regarding COVID-19. She emphasized that residents should begin to make their regular doctor appointments to take care of preventative or pre-existing health matters.
• Authorize the President/General Manager to modify (open/close) the amenity infrastructure, as needed, to comply with the Governor’s Executive Orders, social distancing requirements, and/or industry recommendations, and execute any necessary agreements for the fireworks show.
• Approved FY2020 CARES Act funding sub-allocation for the Conroe-The Woodlands Urbanized Area. The Woodlands Township will receive nearly $7.5 million as a result of this sub-allocation.
• Approved appointing an alternate member for The Woodlands Township to the Conroe-The Woodlands Urbanized Area Mobility Committee to replace retiring President/General Manager Don Norrell. The Board appointed Ruthanne Haut, Deputy Director of Community Services Transportation & Infrastructure, as the alternate member.
• Approved the financial report as presented.
The Board then recessed the regular Board meeting to convene a Public Hearing regarding pool fees. No residents called in during the public hearing. After hearing the update regarding pool fees, the Board then reconvened the regular meeting.
• Approved proposed amendments to Township Order No. 020-09 regarding pool fees for the 2020 Season.
• Resident day passes decrease from $6 to $5
• Non-resident day passes decrease from $12 to $10
• Season pass rates remain $40 for residents and $120 for non-residents
The Board emphasized that the pools will have restrictions in capacity and a Season Pass does not grant any additional rights over day passes. No punch cards or external day care or group pass rates will be available this summer due to social distancing. Individuals purchasing an annual pass need to be aware that there will be a limited number of pools open this year due to Covid-19 and there is no privilege for admission as compared to a daily pass holder. Refunds will not be issued due to the limited number of pools and/or State or other guidelines that may require pools to be closed.
The Board then recessed to Executive Session before reconvening to adjourn the meeting.
Please stay connected to The Woodlands Township through many communications channels. Learn more and sign up at www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov/stayinformed. Follow the Township’s official Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/thewoodlandstownship.
For more information on The Woodlands Township, or to view the meeting in its entirety, please visit www.thewoodlandstownship-tx.gov, or call 281-210-3800.